Corniglia, Manarola & Riomaggiore

                                                                   Corniglia

Today starts at Corniglia, a very small village (150 people?!). It's not directly connected to the sea, unlike the rest of the Cinque Terre. The main walk from the town to Manarola is closed so the more scenic hike up via Volastra is the one to take. This hike has breathtaking views over vineyards but there are a lot of steps. Upwards was fine, many steps but evenly spaced with few exceptions. Downhill, via the panoramic view of Manarola is steeper, harder on the knees but well worth it. 

      Approaching Manarola via Volastra

The whole hike from the train station took us just under three hours (with photo stops), it was 11.01 kilometres with a 545 meter elevation gain. It isn't very tiring, just a lot of steps up and down.

    Some parts of the path overlook cliffs.

    Vertigo sufferers might have an issue.



                        Manarola


There is this great bar in Manarola for an aperol and a bite to eat. It's called Nessun Dorma and its cliff side.

       Order a drink and a feast arrives!

We proceeded to Riomaggiore. A train is required for this journey due to landslides and erosion. 

                     Riomaggiore


The five towns all have the colourful houses, medieval churches etc. but some are just much smaller than others. Riomaggiore is known for its vineyards that surround the town. 

One thing I must add, it was a very hot day today. I can't imagine what it might be like in the summer. Heatstroke weather, probably. Also, there are a lot of tourists in the Cinque Terre which causes congestion in the paths. October might just be the best time to go. Also, the alternative but higher pathways are less crowded. So get fit!

On a final note, I tried gelato number 8, basil, famous in Corniglia, so I had it at the start of the trek after breakfast. A bit early and too pesto-y for me. Still, I needed to taste it. Probably the only time I will!


I had gelato 9 tonight but I repeated flavours so it's not too interesting. I think, however that's enough ice cream for a trip! Too much of a good thing!

Lastly, if the blog seems to have uneven labelling and spacing, it's because I'm writing it on my phone. What might appear to be fine on mine, might not be on an iPad or other phone. Apologies. 

Comments

Popular Posts