Off To Bolivia On My Kayak!


Anyone who knows me well knows I love to kayak.  Of course, I'm not kayaking to Bolivia. It's miles away! I just pottered around the area since I know health and safety is not a strong point in Peru and my boat man seemed to still be suffering the excesses of the fiesta in the area. No one would know where to rescue me if I ventured too far!

Yesterday I took a boat and crew out to check the locals who live in the Uros floating islands.  The Uros people have lived on these man made islands (about 55 in total) made of totora reeds for centuries, first to escape the Incas and next to flee from the Spaniards. 

These reeds are partially edible and are also used to build their homes, boats and crafts. These island homes are continuously replenished from the top so are always soft and springy. They can only be visited by private boat and their inhabitants live in a traditional manner with no electricity, only basic (kindergarten level) education, and intermarry amongst themselves.



Typical floating island with 3 families.  They marry at 15.


Uru with his woven boat


The family in front of their kitchen.


The island's inhabitants.


Visited another island along the way, Taquile.


The locals love their hats with pompoms.  They wear the pom pom on the left if feeling happy and on the right if not.


What did they say about texting and driving?!



View of the lake from hotel Titilaka's entrance.


The view from the back of the hotel.














Comments

Popular Posts