Packing List For The Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu


Packing List

We are off tomorrow!

Here is the packing list for anybody interested in doing a similar trek to the one we are doing. Obviously you can substitute the items if you want to replace them with other brands but I am just sharing what I have used throughout the years and what I am happy with. Good kit lasts a long time, so it can be a false economy to use cheaper products if they are not as functional and as durable.

The recommended maximum weight allowed in trekking in Peru is 10 kilos otherwise the trains will not allow you to bring you backpack with you and it might have to travel afterwards (and maybe take forever). Take only soft duffel bags if they will be transported by donkey between campsites or lodges.

1. Well worn in hiking boots. I like Salomon (Quest 4D GTX Gore-tex) for comfort and you need not break them in too much since they are comfortable the first time you wear them. Some people like to trek in trainers (I also use Salomon  (xa Pro 3d GTX) trainers which are great) but you need ankle protection in the uneven terrain so I highly recommend hiking boots. I also bring extra laces in case the ones in the boot break. 

2. Mammut Gaiters for mountaineering. High cut and keeps the wet and snow out of the boot.

3. Black Diamond trekking poles. They fold up well but you also need to bring extra rubber tips because you cannot have steel tips in Peru. Steel tips on trekking poles on ancient trails can be quite destructive to the ancient paths and sites.

4. Trekking hat. I like the Tilley trekking hat. It isn't fashionable but it has a tie for windy days, won't shrink, repels rain, blocks uv light. I also bring a Highlander waterproof hat for the rainy/snowy days. Nice wool hat for those cold evenings.

5. Sun block.  Factor 50 for me because high altitude sun really burns and causes wrinkles!

6. Julbo trekking sunglasses.  For the intense glare in altitude. Many sunglasses just don't provide adequate glare protection. 

7. Mac in a Pack (There is also mac in a sac) Raincoat for heavy downpours.

8. Trekking socks.  I like to change socks daily though for most people, this is excessive. I wear two layers (my friend Mark Dearlove's recommendation against blisters and it does work), a thin tight inner layer and Smart Wool on top. Do not wear damp socks if you want to avoid blisters!

9. Icebreaker long and short sleeve T-shirts.  They're the best. They functions as a base layer and also can be used as sleepwear. Icebreaker is made from merino wool which is very useful in extreme weather conditions. It's breathable in summer and insulating in the winter and is exceptionally soft and lightweight.

10. Outer layer high neck Icebreaker/Arc'teryx. A mid layer for the colder days or use instead of a jacket for warmer days. 

11. Arc'teryx vest and down jacket.  Outer layer for those cold days and high altitudes and very lightweight. The down jacket can be used as a pillow.  I have slept with both of them on when we had very cold mountain hut evenings. 

12. Arc'teryx snow and rainwear. Both jacket and trousers. To wear above numbers 9/10/11 to keep you dry in rainy and snowy conditions.

13. Icebreaker and Arc'teryx leggings (baselayer).  Again made of merino wool. Also can be used as sleepwear. 

14. Marmot trekking trousers (convertible into shorts) for the warmer days.

15. Headtorch.  I like Petzl. Light and bright with multiple light settings.

16. Gloves. Icebreaker/Arc'teryx/Black Diamond. Thin, medium and waterproof.

17. Anti-mosquito.  I use maximum strength Deet because I hate mosquitoes and they love me. Pyramid Trek is a good strong deet spray, use repellent mosquito wipes for when you are sweating, and Mudder mosquito armbands just in case you've missed a patch!  I also spray my clothing with Sawyer Premium insect repellant before leaving for that added protection. Keep the bugs away, specially in jungle situations.

18. Medical Emergency kit. I like to bring my own syringes just in case.

19. Medicines. Imodium, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Dioralyte (rehydration tablets). I also use Flector which is an anti-inflammatory patch for my terrible knees. I bring Voltarol pain-eze, Cura-Heat for arthritic pain, a Tubigrip support band  and my knee braces.  Diamox and gingko biloba both help fight altitude sickness.  I heard the coca plant is good, too. I normally pack antibiotics but didn't manage to do it this time.  Perhaps I'll pick some up in Cusco.

20. Blister protection. Moleskin, Compeed, the lot. 

21. Money belt. I use Safehands and Travel Gennix since it lies flat, it's light and it's RFID safe so no one can clone your cards.

22. Small torch for the evenings.

23. Flip flops.  Slippers for those aching feet at the end of the day. Maybe an extra pair of light shoes in case you want to wear something nice in the hotels, airplanes, restaurants at either end.

24.  Small day back pack for water (I bring a camel back), tissues, snacks, medicine, technology, and waterproofs in case it rains. I use Osprey. 

25. Assorted toiletries.

26. Bathing suit for lakes, aguas calientes, etc.

27. Big plastic bags to cover your day pack and duffel bag in case it rains.

28. Trekking underwear.  Again I use icebreaker.  There is nothing worse than having underwear soaking with sweat when you have technical clothing on top which remains dry. You still feel damp and cold with the wet. Its well worth the investment.

Some product links:

www.salomon.com
www.arcteryx.com
www.mammut.ch
www.blackdiamondequipment.com
www.icebreaker.com
www.julbo.com
www.highlander-outdoor.com
www.marmot.com
www.tilley.com
www.petzl-head-torches.co.uk
www.genixx.myshopify.com
www.ospreypacks.com








Comments

Popular Posts