Verbier Take On Crispy Chinese Duck





After a very snowy two weeks, it's turned spring like in Verbier again, blue skies with some serious snow melt. The skiing has been fine but more snow is thankfully on its way this Sunday and we can look forward to less icy pistes again. Blue skies make for better photographs, however, and here are some from the train ride from Geneva airport and the pistes.








And, as always, it's time for another recipe from my kitchen in Verbier.  I need to make constant adjustments since I don't have the oriental supermarket down the street and it does result in some unusual interpretations of oriental cuisine. Thankfully, I have great friends who are always willing to be guinea pigs in my kitchen.

This week I had a craving for some crispy Chinese duck.  Armed with the duck confit I had ordered for Christmas celebrations (it lasts for months, preserved in fat, vacuum packed, in fridge), I decided to use it for this recipe.  

First, sprinkle the duck breasts with Chinese five spice powder, a combination of star anise, cloves, cinnamon, Sichuan peppercorns, fennel seeds. Roast the duck breasts in the oven in medium heat (about 170C) for twenty minutes then place under a hot grill to crisp the skin. Remove from heat and fat (you can save the fat to make roast potatoes) and set aside while you make the sauce.

To make the sauce combine plum and hoisin sauces in equal proportion, about half a cup each.  Add some sweet chili sauce, about a quarter cup (add chopped chilies for more kick) and the juice of one lime.  

Shred the duck and skin into think slices and place on a serving platter. Wrap in whole iceberg lettuce leaves with fresh coriander, thinly sliced spring onions and the sauce you've just made.  I added some egg fried rice, broccoli and mushrooms stir fried in sweet soya sauce and garlic to complete the meal.

It's not exactly the crispy duck you get in oriental restaurants, but it's still pretty scrumptious. I think my friends enjoyed the meal.





Comments

Popular Posts