The Season In Verbier Begins!




View of the garden from home.

Happy New Year everybody!


Finally, after waiting for another snowfall after late November, it arrives today. The weather has been, till today, absolutely glorious.  A lot of sunshine, and a bit of skiing, but the skiers were desperate for more snowfall to cover visible rocks, ice and ski areas.  Still, trekking around the last few weeks was truly enjoyable, it felt like spring!


View en route to Marlenaz

I decided, a couple of years ago, that I wanted to spend more time in Verbier.  Learn to ski well, learn French, trek around the mountains with friends were the main objectives  I set myself over the season. The kids are now older so I have the time to focus on achieving some more bucket list objectives, one being doing a ski season.

I started with a move from London about 6 weeks ago, shipping my spices and other cooking/baking ingredients which might not be available in Verbier. Cooking and food are always very important to me so that was top of the list.  I settled in, signed up for the Warren Smith Ski Academy (I really enjoy Warren's ski weeks) tried to get my ski timing back and rid myself of some terrible ski habits with the help of the fantastic ski instructors and tuition. It was time to do some braquage!

 

Ski group at Warren Smith Ski Academy 

Afterwards I spent the holidays with friends and family, eating and drinking continuously, it seemed, for two weeks.


Now that 2016 has started, it's time to get healthy  Hold the fondue, croute, gratin and back to sensible eating so one does not balloon into the Michelin man. Easy to do on a diet of pig and cheese. It's one thing being a young ski bum living on a high fat diet, another being a middle aged woman trying to look passable.

So today, I started making my healthy muesli. After all, once you've hit the gym and there is no visibility on the slopes, why not cook?! Here is my recipe:

Heat the oven up to 175C. Bring out a large nonstick roasting pan.

Combine the following:

2 cups gluten free organic oats
1 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup quinoa puffs
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup linseeds
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 tbs. spirulina powder
1 cup flaked almonds
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons stevia
2 tablespoons pourable honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil

Combine all the ingredients above except flaked almonds and desiccated coconut.  Toss and combine well. Place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until it looks like it starting to brown nicely. Add the flaked almonds, combine and return to the oven for another ten minutes. Add the desiccated coconut, again combine well and toast for another ten minutes.

Remove and cool.  Place in an airtight container.

I prefer to add either chopped dried or fresh fruit right before serving and eat with yogurt.

Since it's the New Year, it's only right that you don't let yourself go to seed! :)















Comments

Popular Posts