Let's Rock The Kasbah!


It's quite a shock to suddenly be in altitude after 45 degree heat in Marrakesh. The photo above is of Mount Toubkal which at 4160 meters is the highest in Northern Africa and one I plan to summit in a few days time.

Right now I am settling at the 1800 meters Kasbah du Toubkal and getting ready for an early start tomorrow. I plan to walk through the mountains and acclimatise between 2-3000 meters over the next three days, sleeping in the trekking lodge a few hours away (no wifi).




The kasbah is charming, luxurious for a place to stay in mountains of altitude, in the middle of nowhere. And of course, packed with Trekkers from all over. 

My guide, Abdul, is 29 but looks about 22 and was the guide of Daniel Craig when he came to trek around the kasbah for 4 days not too long ago. A lot of climbing to keep the body in tip top shape! 

Anyway, Abdul has warned me that Toubkal is steeper than Kilimanjaro after the refuge enroute to the top and it's a race to ascend and descend the 4160 meters in two days. It's also mostly scree and involves a lot of scrambling. Piece of cake, I said nervously, worried for my knees downhill on the scree. But I will be optimistic!

The more pressing matter right now is that of dinner...is it tagine or is it tagine?





Comments

Popular Posts