Hi From The High Atlas


I spent the last three days acclimatising around 2-2500 metres (6500/8200 feet).  Walking around the High Atlas is very enjoyable, nice scenery, trails that are not too difficult, cloudless skies though admittedly a bit too warm (25-35 c or 77/95 f) for mountain treks.



I walked the route from Imlil to Tizi Oussem. We took a break at the saddle between two mountains. Photo above is inspired by my Swiss trekking friends, hi there!


I have my little group of Abdul, Mohammed and Yusef who are my guide, chef, and muleteer respectively. Glad I have my support team since they told me not to wander off on my own unless I knew how to handle rattlesnakes and scorpions! 


These men are Berbers from the local villages who know every corner of these mountains. Even when I was going at what I considered my full sprint down the scree (think skiing and traversing but with hiking boots over small slippery rocks) I could barely keep up with what was their normal pace. They seemed to glide over the terrain. Even tiny children (sorry but locals forbid photos) bomb down the mountain without parental help. When the terrain is as jagged and sharp as it is here, it doesn't take much to slip and break bone or lose a tooth. And with my  doy break a bone record, I need to concentrate on each step.


What a luxury it is to trek with a support team.  I didn't have to carry my day pack, a great relief in warm sweaty conditions, and it made the days much more enjoyable! I am definitely in touch with my inner princess and like being comfortable. 


The photo above is my picnic lunch prepared for me by Mohammed. The team lay out a pillow and rug for me to have a siesta on (too hot at midday to move) after lunch. Very civilised!


It took about 7 hours of fast walking and an hour break to get to the trekking lodge at just under 2000 metres on top of one of the villages. The lodge has four rooms with en suites, is quite basic but clean and comfortable, and the most wonderful views. This was my base for three days until the return to the Kasbah.


Trekking lodge 



Berber village


View from the trekking lodge

Tomorrow I make my way up to base camp. Two days of 1000 meter climbs each day on scree and snow. How fun!💃💪










Comments

Popular Posts