Bye Bye Morocco


Inasmuch as it is unfortunate I fell ill from what I suspect is the dodgy water (didn't remember to shut my mouth in the shower?!) I still feel a sense of achievement and I am glad I have done it!

The Berber people are very kind and generous, even my muleteer offered to lend me money when I forgot my wallet when he has nothing, and my guide was very encouraging when I ran out of steam from dehydration. 


The mountains here are craggy and don't have the magnificence of the Alps or the sheer magnitude of the Himalaya.  Still, they are different and give you a feel for North Africa. Luxury is not a word you use in high altitude but the Moroccans try and make it as comfortable as they can. The fact that they offer ensuite bathrooms and bedroom living room suites is unheard of in most mountain huts.

Of course hygiene is always going to be an issue with poor water sourcing but I cannot imagine better conditions in Nepal.

All in all, it is still a remarkable experience, and one which tests physical and mental endurance in whatever situation. It's always fulfilling being able to achieve what you think is an impossible task (because of illness or altitude problems) and walk away relatively unscathed.

A multitude of thanks to kasbah Toukbal (Discovery) who organised everything in the trip and to Mike who owns and runs it, and my support team. My last night in Dar Imlil was also very pleasant. The Riads in Marrakesh were unforgettable. 


Kasbah Toubkal 

Comments

Popular Posts