Reykjavik

 




First thing I need to say is the Icelanders are a nice friendly bunch. They’re  all very cheery and helpful. It’s nice being a tourist here.

Travelling in Covid times. Those bar code vaccine passports work like magic. Scan the barcode, a very quick pcr test at the airport after customs, and you are on your way to the center of town in the 120 euro cab. Just a heads up for the travellers hailing cabs! 

It’s freezing. Why wouldn’t it be if it’s called Iceland? I was not prepared for that blast of cold air that literally blew my hat off when I walked out the airport doors.  I don’t know why I was so surprised. 


Of course I then had to wait for the pcr results before I was ok to leave the hotel. Fortunately they didn’t say hotel room. And the hotel bar was pretty unusual, with the barbershop in the middle of it. But it wasn’t a bad quarantine, a few aperol spritz and the Roland Garros semi finals, I was a happy camper. I socially distanced (even with past Covid experience plus two vaccines) so as not to compromise anyone’s health, but it was nice to be in a fun atmosphere. 


                             Superyacht “A”  in the harbour  


 

                                                                     Hallgrimskirkja


                                                                    Harpan concert hall 


On to the town. Reykjavik is tiny. Population of Fulham. Doesn’t take long  see everything, 16,000 steps more or less, to see the main sights. I’m, of course, off to explore the food scene, immediately after.

I did a poll. The restaurant that seemed to be unanimously popular was Sjávagrillid. So here I am. Going through the four course meal and thoroughly enjoying it. It’s packed! I managed to persuade the restaurant, at short notice, to give me a small table for one in a corner on a Saturday night. I’m a big eater but honestly, can barely manage the courses. But it’s good and it’s fun. 


                                            Cod with langoustines and a special mayonnaise 


                                  Lightly smoked salmon with crunchy parsnips and mussel foam 


                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Lamb with kohlrabi and beets on mashed potatoes. 



Strawberry sorbet creme brûlée and a tangy sauce (untranslatable) with a crunchy caramel creme.


Anyway, after a brief 36 hours here (I was prepared for the up to 24 hour quarantine until test results) I’m off on my trek tomorrow, after a small plane ride and transfer. Got the thermals, raincoat, beanie hat plus three layers. Bring on the ice cap. The adventure begins! 🚀

Comments

Popular Posts