Day 4 Dolomites Via Ferrata/Hike


My mountain guide, Luca, with the Cir mountains behind him.

Today I skipped the morning hike with the Backroads group to do the Via Ferrata in the Cir.  Via Ferrata means a protected climbing route up a mountain. In this route you use has a steel cable which runs along it and is periodically, every 1 to 10 metres (3.3 to 32.8 ft)) fixed to the rock. Using a harness and a carabiner with rope, plus a helmet,  a climber can go up steep mountains knowing that his fall is limited, if he is attached by the carabiner, to the steel cable. If you can go up a climbing wall and have no fear of heights, then you should have loads of fun doing it, like I did.

My mountain guide asked me several times, on the way up, how I was coping with the vertical views.  I actually felt very relaxed climbing up.  The attachment to the cable limits your fall, so it's very comforting knowing you aren't going to fall to your death. Ferrata 1 has walking ledges but where is the fun in that! Go straight up without the walking ledges and start with Ferrata 2 (there are 5 levels). You just have to decide how to put your foot on little indentations on the rock and grab handle shapes whilst staying away from unstable or slippery surfaces. Going down, you should face outwards, so you can see where you are going, so if you don't like heights, you should't do it. 




I looked up and saw this.

As I was on my way up, I could see some small people in the distance. Small meaning even kids, attached by a rope, to their parents. It was pretty steep, but you don't really notice it.  You're too busy trying to decide where to put your feet and hands next! Look closely at this photo, you'll spot the people near the top.





It's not very tiring. I was surprised. You use your legs, mainly, to ascend, and your hands for balance.


The views of the Sella and Val Badia were breathtaking and well worth the climb.




Views from the top.




Edelweiss flowers on the way down towards the valley.


After a couple of hours I descended, and then I joined the rest of the group for lunch at a refuge. Of course, the views were again amazing. Seriously, the whole area is just spectacular.







After lunch, I continued with the group towards the towns of Colfosco and La Villa. You look up and you see this.







Finally, after about 10 km of hiking, we finished in San Cassiano. Our hotel is the Rosa Alpina. It has received amazing reviews for its hotel, award winning spa and 3 star Michelin restaurant. It looks quite understated and is very pleasant.



Rosa Alpina Hotel.


Town centre of San Cassiano.

After another great but simple dinner, I'm off to bed.  Tomorrow is another big trekking day.

Comments

Popular Posts