Why Everest?






People keep asking me this question. Most people think I'm barmy (translate crazy to my Oriental mates) since why should anyone consider doing such a thing? The usual answer that people give when asked this question is "Because it's there" or they've just read "Into Thin Air" and found that riveting.  People cannot imagine why anyone would want to sleep in the cold, experience fear (the most dangerous airport in the world in Lukla, extremely high and long footbridges, falling off an edge or putting your life in serious risk with altitude sickness). Valid reasons to question the sanity of the trip but they are missing the point.

The adventures I've catalogued in this blog the last few years have been about embracing life experiences: seeing and enjoying new places, understanding and appreciating different cultures, meeting new people and hearing these travellers' stories, as well as challenging yourself physically and mentally.

I look back at the first half of my life and I have been extremely fortunate. I've had good jobs, married a wonderful man, had three children I cherish and enjoy, made great friends. It's not perfect, of course, and at times challenging, but all in all, I count my blessings.

Then in the last decade, towards the end of her life, my mother would gift my children, once they graduated from high school, a trip they would remember in a country of their choice.  I was the chaperone (poor me). During these gap year trips, not only did I bond and with each of them whilst doing incredibly fun things (Samurai lessons, elephant polo, Great Wall trekking) but came away thinking that when I reach the age that I am old and immobile, I would look back at all these experiences as truly some of the most enjoyable times of my life.

As my children grew older and started living their own lives, I decided I would continue with these adventures in a bucket list sort of way. I had accumulated enough "stuff" in my lifetime so it was time to spend whatever I could earn and save towards experiencing life wholeheartedly. Part of that is seeing the world. I also love sport so the physicality of trekking appealed to me. You can just amble along and experience each place slowly, enjoy the scenery and the people.  The exercise also gives me a good excuse to enjoy another love....food!!  Training means consuming a lot of calories so any excuse for another good large meal is welcomed.

It was at this time that Doy's adventures began: Dead Sea to Petra in Jordan, Camino de Santiago in Spain, Morroco's Mt. Toubkal, Salkantay trail to Machu Picchu, Kumano Kodo in Japan, plus all the peripheral trips that come with  being in those countries. Seeing cities and sporting events in other countries also made the cut to the blog.

So next, why not Everest? I've devoured all the books, movies and documentaries about the mountain. Even if I think I am way too old to summit, being in the mountain just under 20,000 feet, will make me feel like I am, in some very very small way, a part of the whole Everest story I've only read about. It's supposed to be very beautiful, the Himalaya.  So that's why I'm going.  May 3rd. Even if I have to use a squat toilet and I hate camping.  Follow the blog.

www.doysadventure.blogspot.com

I am also trying to raise awareness for the good works and incredible courage of the members of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) also known as Doctors Without Borders. They continue to risk their lives and volunteer their time to provide emergency care and aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics and natural disasters.  They are in the forefront in Syria, as well as in the earthquake of Nepal, the floods of the Philippines, the ebola crisis in Africa and many others.

Please donate to their cause http://www.msf.org/en/donate
The funds go towards medical supplies and equipment these doctors and medical staff desperately need. 







Comments

Popular Posts