Confessions Of A Tennis Fanatic






As I look back to my summer this year, there are a few things I did which did not include tennis.  I went on my annual beach holiday (I've already blogged about that last year so same again), enjoyed the food and sights in Copenhagen  (which you may have read about in the last blog entry) and Ibiza, but mostly, I watched tennis!

There is no point denying I am a true tennis fan.  This started from childhood, with a family that breathes, lives and plays tennis. I remember the drills on the tennis court, the gentle coaching of my father, the continuous replaying of Borg/McEnroe, McEnroe/Connors on the betamax tapes until we could remember the next point from memory.  If I may even be slightly macabre, I remember one of my father's last words to me on his deathbed were "I think Pete Sampras might win a few majors". That is true love for tennis!

I enjoyed the endless games of doubles we had amongst siblings, cousins and friends and the fierce competitive spirit we exhibited playing club games. I remember most of all, the intense emotional moments, watching relatives compete nationally or internationally, feeling distraught when the point was going against them and jubilation when they were winning. It must take a lot of practice to remain poker faced in the players box! My children have taken zero interest in tennis, scarred from years of watching me scream and gesticulate at the television every time a tournament was on. It's a passion I cannot deny so I am not too sorry I've put them off it.

I was, unfortunately, not born with the talent for the game (only passable club level), so once I reached mid teenage years, I became a true FAN! First it was Evert, Connors, Borg, then Sampras, Agassi, Federer and now it's Thiem.

Watching the sport for me is almost like watching dance.  The footwork and grace of Roger recalls a powerful yet graceful Baryshnikov whilst Rafa has the intensity of the Spanish flamenco dancer.  Of course, the athleticism of being able to stop and start for hours, against an opponent who is serving up to 130 miles an hour against you, setting up a point whilst you are playing almost instinctively hitting against the pace and power of their strokes, is truly awesome. At the highest level of the sport, you can only marvel at the ability, strength and discipline of these sports men and women.

On that note, I will share some photos I have taken, following various tournaments here, there and everywhere.  I've been lucky to see them and I count my blessings, as a tennis fan, that I can finally clap and holler live, at these games. If you don't know who these people are, then you aren't a fan like me!

                                  





























Comments

Popular Posts