Special Request: Easy Peasy New Style Salmon Sashimi



Sooo...I missed all the wonderful snow and blue skies during half term but I am on my way back to Verbier tomorrow!  It's now time for some serious training for the Inca Trail in May. I will try and snowshoe daily after a quick ski and hit the gym.  It'll all pay off when Liz and I hit the Salkantay trail in Peru from Cuzco to Machu Picchu.

The picture above is my the new style sashimi which is based on the Nobu new style salmon sashimi recipe (with a few shortcuts, of course). I get asked for this recipe time and time again. I've changed the recipe to suit my taste with additional shortcuts.

First you must buy the freshest salmon you can find.  Remove the skin with a sharp fish knife (or ask the fishmonger to do it for you).  Slice into thin bite sizes as neatly as possible (forget trying to do it like a Japanese chef, they need years of practice and tuition before they do it perfectly). 

Finely chop two cloves of garlic. Put tiny pieces on each piece (literally a small dot or two).  Get a knob of ginger and finely slice into thin matchstick pieces and put one on each piece of sliced salmon.  Then cut tiny pieces of chives (with scissors for fast results) and sprinkle all over the dish.  

Mix two tablespoons of fresh lime juice with five tablespoons of top quality soy sauce.  Pour over the dish. Then mix a teaspoon of sesame oil and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and also pour over the fish.  Finally sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds.

Easy, quick and impressive and more importantly, very yummy.  



Comments

Popular Posts