Starting to Panic



                                        Starting to Panic


This week, I realised I only have 3 plus weeks to go before I take the flight to Santiago for the Camino.

As far as training is concerned, it has consisted of going to Paris with Anna (daughter) to view schools, and watching the tennis (see Nadal below at the Hurlingham Club).  

This is clearly not the right way to prepare for a walk down the Camino, even if it is a lot of fun!

Bearing in mind it is also Wimbledon week and I could easily qualify to be a fanatic (alongside the yellow shirts that follow Hewitt's every move but not necessarily restricted to Australian support), it was not going to be easy to find the time to train.  Coupled with the unpredictable English weather at this time of the year, it would take some creative time management to work out, do some jewellery work, spend some quality time with the children (and of course, hubby) and watch the tennis!

I was off on the first three days of the week, up early and on the road at 9 am. Down the usual Thames Path which is lovely when it is sunny and warm, with views of the rowers and tennis players going off for a run, but not so great when it's windy, overcast and a bit drizzly. Still, I managed to clock in 35 km so far this week, with some additional squats and weight training in front of the tennis. Thankfully, nothing hurts and I feel I can cope with the 120 km.

I also downloaded some reading material which seems to be highly recommended in Amazon (I question some of the good reviews at times because the writers may have tons of friends supporting them). Camino de Santiago (History, Culture, Architecture) by Kelly, Walking Guide for the Camino de Santiago also by Kelly and Santiago Tales by Joan Fallon. There are also numerous YouTube videos of people talking about their experiences.

I am presently trying to figure out how to download some Googlemaps of the Camino onto my phone. I know it won't be difficult to work out the route since there must be masses of pilgrims with their walking sticks and backpacks walking along the route. There might even be the odd over enthusiastic religious person carrying a huge cross down the way, which should be hard to miss! Having a map will, however, give me a feeling of security (even if I have no sense of direction whatsoever) when walking alone.  So if anyone has any thoughts regarding this matter......please feel free to share them with me!

Meanwhile, do we think Murray might beat Djokovic?











Comments

Popular Posts